Do you want to install TWRP Recovery on your OnePlus 6? If yes. then you are in the right place because this detailed guide is all about the steps and instructions which will help you to download and install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6.
This device is powered by Adreno 630 octa-core Snapdragon 845 processor with different storage options like 6/8 GB of RAM and 64/128 and 256 GB in-built storage and whereas battery is concerned the device has 3300mAh battery capacity. If we talk about the camera then the device comes up with dual camera of 16+20MP and a front camera of 16MP which is quite amazing.
Now, let’s talk about some of the benefits that you will be able to enjoy after installing the TWRP Recovery on your device. After installing the TWRP Recovery you will able to root your device by flashing SuperSU or magisk and not only that you can also flash images, ZIPs, ROMs, etc. so isn’t amazing?
Guide To Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6 (enchilada)
This overall Guide is divided into 3 sections prerequisites, downloads, and the instructions. So, let’s proceed with the prerequisites section first.
Part-1: Backup your OnePlus 6
Installing TWRP Recovery on your Oneplus device is a quite long process. If any step performed wrong could lead the device to the data loss. So, as usual, we would highly recommend you to take a full backup of the device’s data before getting into the steps of this guide.
You can make use of Google Drive, Hard drives and other online or offline stuff to securely store the data of your phone. However, the backup process is not mandatory. It is totally up to you whether the data matters to you or not. You can also check out the step-by-step guide on the backup process.
Part-2: Install Minimal ADB & Fastboot Tools
The process of flashing TWRP Recovery on Oneplus 6 needs the latest ADB & Fastboot tools to already be installed on your computer. This will allow the computer to push ADB commands to your Oneplus device through the USB cable.
To download the latest Minimal ADB & Fastboot Tools on Windows/Mac, head over to the link here.
Once you’ve downloaded the SDK platform tools using the link above, install them on your PC. To do so, check out the guide on how to install Platform Tools on PC.
Part-3: Unlock Bootloader and Set PIN Password
When it comes to flashing anything on the Android devices, then an unlocked bootloader is required. The same case is with OnePlus 6. So, make sure to unlock bootloader on your Oneplus 6 before getting further into the steps.
The next step is to set a PIN. Because, in order to decrypt the device’s storage partition, you need to set a password for your device security because during the process TWRP will ask for the password. And setting up a PIN password helps in decrypting the device easily. Whereas, pattern password is harder to put through TWRP.
Part-4: Enable USB Debugging and Advanced Reboot
Whenever we perform any system modification operation through the USB cable, it is required USB Debugging mode to be enabled. This allows the PC and phone to establish a proper connection and it does also allow the PC to perform some of the specific permissions.
Once enabled the above option, also enable advanced reboot which will help you to choose the rebooting options in a better dialogue box. This will help you later in rebooting into fastboot and recovery mode easily.
To enable both of the above options, you need to firstly Turn On the hidden Developer options in the About of the Android settings. To do so, follow the below instructions:
- Go to the Android Settings > About Phone.
- Then, tap on “Build Number” 7-8 times until you get the message “Now, you’re a developer”.
- Go back to the main settings > System > Developer options.
- Now, tap on the toggle of Advanced Reboot and USB Debugging which is under the Debugging tab.
Below, we have provided the links to the files which will be required to install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6.
- TWRP Recovery .img file for OnePlus 6
- TWRP Recovery .ZIP file for OnePlus 6 (Once downloaded the ZIP file, make sure to move it to the device’s storage).
Steps To Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6 via fastboot
- Download the .img bootable file using the link above.
- Once downloaded, rename it as “op6twrp.img“.
- Then transfer it to the ADB Folder on your desktop.
- Power OFF the OnePlus 6.
- Now, boot your device into fastboot mode. To do so, follow the instructions below:
- Press the power button.
- Tap on ‘Bootloader’.
- After entering into the bootloader mode, connect your device with your PC via USB cable.
- Now, open ADB Folder which is located in ‘local disk – C’ and then hit “Shift + Right click” and choose ‘Open PowerShell window here‘ from the options.
- Now before taking the next step, kindly type and enter the command given below to check your device is properly connected or not. If your device unique ID is flashing in the screen then you can take upcoming steps otherwise you need to connect your device with the system again so you can proceed further.
- Now, you can easily temporarily boot the TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6 by pushing the command given below in PowerShell window:
fastboot boot op6twrp.img
- As soon as you run the command above, the device should start booting into the TWRP Recovery mode.
- Now you can disconnect the USB Cable.
- Once successfully booted into TWRP Mode, a screen will prompt to you for the decryption. Just enter the PIN and swipe the system modifications button, if asked.
- Now, go to Install tab and browse the TWRP Recovery .ZIP File.
- Once selected, swipe the “Swipe to confirm flash” button to permanently flash TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6.
- Now, wait until the process finishes. Once done, hit the ‘Reboot system’ button.
So this was the detailed guide on How to Install TWRP Recovery on OnePlus 6. In case you come up with any issue during the installation process, you can drop us a comment below.